Crochet Basketweave Baby Beanie
Design by Raffaella Tassoni from RaffamusaDesigns.
This beanie is entirely made using the basketweave stitch. To obtain the basketweave stitch you need to alternate a series of front post double crochets with a series of back post double crochets. The alternating front and back post double crochet stitches create a sort of double-thick, textured layer.
At the same time, the basketweave stitch is also pleasantly squishy and stretchy. I thought these are perfect characteristics for a baby beanie, and I was not disappointed. The Basket Weave beanie is thick and warm, but at the same time elastic and soft.
Finished Sizes: Newborn (0-3 months), 3-6 months
- The Crochet Basketweave Baby Beanie is a top-down beanie. This means that we will start from the top and the brim will be the last part that we will crochet.
- After you crochet your first round, you do NOT need to turn your work. Instead, just keep crocheting in consecutive rounds always with the right side facing up.
- The pattern is written in US crochet terminology.
- Before starting the project, make a gauge swatch to ensure that your finished beanie will have the right dimensions.
- 3.5-mm (E/4 USA, 9 UK) Hook
- 4-mm (F/6 USA, 8 UK) Hook
- Sport-Weight Baby Merino Wool (4 PLY, 12 wpi) in Two Contrasting Colors. You will need approximately 40 g for the size 0-3 months, and 50 g for the size 3-6 months.
- Tapestry Needle
Skill Level: Easy