This chunky crochet hat is super quick to make. It is worked from side-to-side so you are crocheting the ribbing and the body all at once. While this might be a little different to way you usually crochet a hat, once you have done a couple of rows you will be zipping along. And crocheting a hat in this way comes with a few bonuses:
- It’s super easy to customize the circumference of the hat; just keeping adding rows until you’re happy with it! Ending up with a hat that is too tight/too loose is just not an option here 🙂
- Because the ribbing and body are already joined together you avoid that awkward row where you have to crochet along the edge of the ribbing
- Once you have seamed the edges of the hat you can choose to leave the gap at the top for a messy bun hat or cinch the gap closed for a regular hat.
Yay for options!
Finished Sizes: Toddler/Child/Adult
- Hook: 6mm/J-10 crochet hook (or hook needed to meet gauge) – if you tend to crochet tightly you may need to go to a 6.5mm/K-10.5 hook)
- Yarn: Any Chunky/Weight 5 yarn
- The amounts given here are for Paintbox Yarns Simply Chunky (149m/136yds per 100g skein; Weight 5/Chunky; 100% Acrylic)
- Toddler: 74 yds/67m (50g)
- Child: 90 yds/83m (61g)
- Adult Small: 100 yds/110m (74g)
- Adult Medium: 120 yds/109m (80g)
- Misc: Yarn Needle and Stitch Marker
Skill Level: Easy
Design by: Sarah Ruane from Ned & Mimi.