Design by Sarah Ruane from Ned & Mimi.
This chunky crochet hat is super quick to make. It is worked from side-to-side so you are crocheting the ribbing and the body all at once. While this might be a little different to way you usually crochet a hat, once you have done a couple of rows you will be zipping along. And crocheting a hat in this way comes with a few bonuses:
- It’s super easy to customize the circumference of the hat; just keeping adding rows until you’re happy with it! Ending up with a hat that is too tight/too loose is just not an option here ?
- Because the ribbing and body are already joined together you avoid that awkward row where you have to crochet along the edge of the ribbing
- Once you have seamed the edges of the hat you can choose to leave the gap at the top for a messy bun hat or cinch the gap closed for a regular hat.
Yay for options!
Finished Sizes: Toddler/Child/Adult
- Hook: 6mm/J-10 crochet hook (or hook needed to meet gauge) – if you tend to crochet tightly you may need to go to a 6.5mm/K-10.5 hook)
- Yarn: Any Chunky/Weight 5 yarn
- The amounts given here are for Paintbox Yarns Simply Chunky (149m/136yds per 100g skein; Weight 5/Chunky; 100% Acrylic)
- Toddler: 74 yds/67m (50g)
- Child: 90 yds/83m (61g)
- Adult Small: 100 yds/110m (74g)
- Adult Medium: 120 yds/109m (80g)
- Misc: Yarn Needle and Stitch Marker
Skill Level: Easy
Choose your child’s favorite color and make this child’s hat for both boys and girls. It features a nice pom pom which can be store-bought or made at home using the same yarn you use to crochet the hat.
This beautiful beanie pattern is available in all sizes from baby to adult. It’s a nice stretchy beanie for a comfortable fit, making it great for gifting.
This cozy winter hat pattern is available in all sizes from toddler to adult large. Plus, it’s great for both men and women, making it for a great go-to pattern to make for the family.
This elegant and cozy winter hat pattern is available in all sizes from newborn to adult large. It’s definitely a go-to pattern when making gifts for others.
This granny stitch hat pattern is available in several sizes from baby to adult. It is worked top down and the brim is slightly ribbed by working into the back loops.
There is nothing sweeter than for a child to have the same as what mommy has! It makes them feel special and grownup. Something they will treasure forever!