Design by Marie Segares/Underground Crafter.
The inspiration behind this pattern is Ruth Elder, a pioneering aviatrix and actress. Ruth placed fifth in the first Women’s Air Derby in 1929 and was a charter member of the Ninety-Nines: International Organization for Women Pilots.
Ruth Elder was a fabulous dresser with a flirty sense of style. This cloche is based on one she wore. The gently textured stitch pattern showcases the hand dyed Dream in Color Classy. This timeless piece is also a great one-skein project.
I’m grateful to the Old Rhinebeck Aerodome for the awesome background!
- Finished Size: 20” (51 cm) circumference
- Gauge: Through Rnd 9 in pattern = 4” (10 cm) diameter. For best results, always check your gauge.
- Basic crochet stitches: chain, single crochet, half double crochet, slip stitch
- Crocheting in the round
- Decreasing (invdec with written explanation in pattern and link to tutorial)
- Crocheting in the back loop only and the front loop only
This pattern was originally published in November, 2014.
- Dream in Color Classy (100% superwash Merino, 4 oz/113 g, 250 yd/229 m) – 1 skein 180 Visual Purple, or approximately 230 yd (210 m) in any medium weight yarn.
- US H-8/5 mm crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- Stitch marker.
Skill Level: Easy
Other Patterns to Try:
- Power Walk in the Park Slouchy Beanie
- Pretty Simple Slouch Hat
- Bluebird Beanie
- On the Right Track Beanie
- Wilhelmina Beanie