Design by Marie Segares/Underground Crafter.
Mug rugs are practical and add a handmade touch to your home. Mug rugs make great last-minute gifts for holidays, birthdays, housewarmings, or for anytime for your favorite hot-beverage lover. This tutorial is divided into 3 parts: how to sew an easy mug rug, how to crochet onto fabric, and how to crochet a lovely shell stitch border.
Finished Size: 6” (15 cm) before adding crochet border; approximately 7.5” (19 cm) square after adding crochet border.
- Sewing machine.
- 45 mm Rotary Cutter, Acrylic Ruler, and Cutting Mat OR fabric scissors and marking pen.
- US Size G-6/4 mm crochet hook, or size appropriate for your yarn.
- Embroidery needle with large eye.
- June Tailor Skip-Cut Rotary Cutter Blade for Wide Spaced Cuts
- Basic sewing supplies (seam ripper, thread snips, etc.).
- 100% cotton fabric. NOTE: A half 1/2 yard or fat quarter cut will make several mug hugs.
- 100% cotton or cotton blend quilt batting.
- 100% cotton thread in a color that coordinates or contrasts with fabric for sewing machine.
- King Cole Cottonsoft DK yarn (100% cotton, 3.5 oz/100 g, 229 yd/210 m) – 1 skein in 3459 Magenta, or approximately 20 yd (18.5 m) in any light weight cotton yarn. NOTE: Each skein makes 10-12 mug rug borders.
Skill Level: Easy