Stripes, facial features, and a mane add character to a simple, stuffed pillow. The pocket on the back can be used to hide a gift or to keep a book safe during travels. This is the first pattern in CAL Central’s second annual Softie Crochet Along.
Pillow Measures: 10” (25.5 cm) wide x 12” (30.5 cm) tall before stuffing.
Basic crochet stitches: chain, single crochet, slip stitch
Crocheting flat in rows (for Panels and Ears), crocheting in the round (for Eyes, Muzzle, and joining/Mane)
Increasing, seaming, changing colors
18 sc x 20 rows = 4” (10 cm). Exact gauge is not critical for this pattern but stitches should be small so that fiber filling doesn’t show.
- Red Heart Super Saver yarn (100% acrylic, 7 oz/198 g/364 yd/333 m) – 1 skein each in 311 White (CA) and 312 Black (CB), or approximately 228 yd (208.5 m) in CA and 300 yd (274 m) in CB in any medium weight yarn.
- US Size F-5/3.75 mm crochet hook, or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Fairfield Poly-Fil Crafter’s Choice Dry Polyester Fiber Fill, 20 ounce bag.
- 15 mm black safety eyes – 1 pair.
- 13 mm heart craft nose in pink – 1 piece.
- Yarn needle.
- Clover Quick Locking Stitch Marker Set, or 8-12 locking stitch markers.
Skill Level: Easy
Design by Marie Segares/Underground Crafter.